Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas Traditions


Well, by now you are probably sick of my ramblings about Christmas, but I've written about childhood remembrances and the like. How about an adult Christmas tradition? For several years I have been involved in Christmas Eve worship services -- until recently the 11PM to midnight kind. The tradition that kind of evolved for me was to go hit a few stores just before closing on Christmas Eve (looking for bargains and looking far more than buying), head to dinner, then to church. After church, I'd get home about 1AM, pour a glass of wine, put on some Christmas tunes, and dig into the packages. By the time that was over, it was usually about 3AM and it was off to bed. On Christmas morning I would sleep in a bit, get up and do coffee, and spend the better part of the day being lazy, wearing "jammies" and watching Christmas movies. If I was invited to dinner, great. If not, I kept it simple and quiet. The whole Advent season in church life can be exhausting, so that day of rest was so welcome. That tradition has kind of gotten skewed because my current church does Christmas Eve service at 8PM -- how absolutely odd to my experience. So for the past couple of years I have been kind of adrift as to this tradition. I am hoping that this year with Ben, I can begin developing OUR Christmas traditions -- perhaps bringing a bit of the old from each of us and birthing something that is special and ours.

2 comments:

Lemuel said...

If that's not a sign of a couple in love - merging and forging new traditions that they can call their own - I don't know what is! Whatever your new traditions turn out to be, I am sure they will be fantastic ones!

Anonymous said...

my church does midnight mass at 4PM
it's the oldsters; they can't stay up that late anymore
Urs,
Urspo