Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Tuesday Update

Well, when last I wrote I was heading out for church and Ben was about to deliver the parting sermon. Both of those events took place with a minimum of difficulty and Ben headed over to see me Sunday afternoon. We hung out, watched TV, ate dinner, rented a movie and just kind of kicked back on Sunday. Monday morning I had to wait for the bug man to do his monthly treatment and my boss dropped by for a few minutes. Once those annoyances were out of the way we headed out for breakfast and some shopping. After we left the stores, we took the scenic route toward home. We found a really nice park with a beautiful lake where we kicked off shoes and waded a bit. Then we explored the woods for a little bit and got on the way toward home -- again by the scenic route. We saw a sign for the public access to the Muskegon River, so off we went down yet another side road. Finally we found the access point to the river and once again got out and looked and just enjoyed the outdoors and each others company. By now it was time to head home so that I could get ready for my church meeting and Ben could head home to get ready for his last week at the church. I finally got home for the evening about 10, and chatted by phone with Ben for just a few minutes --we were both pooped.

This morning started out with one of my tenants complaining that the yard looked crappy and this from a woman who is legally blind - go figure. I will concede that we will never show up in Better Homes and Gardens, but it's not as bad as all that. The grass is cut, and stuff is pretty well picked up. I never claimed to be a horticulturalist as anyone who knows me can attest. Besides, t hese days I am doing just enough on this job to keep the job. A year and a half in this position with the constant criticism and bitching is just about all I can bear. If people are bitch whether I do the job or not, why expend the effort? No matter what I do, it seems to wrong in someone's book. I have been sending out bunches of resumes again in search of that perfect position, but I am a 58 year old man caught in that gap between employability and social security. Besides that, the job market in Michigan (to put it politely) sucks. The auto industry is pretty well in the toilet and all the businesses that support that industry on the the slope too. So I maintain the part time position managing the senior complex in hopes that it won't last too much longer. If any of you reading this know of any decent positions in Michigan (or really great positions anywhere else) drop me a comment.

No comments: