Friday, December 19, 2008

Too Much Ado for Me


The spoiled brats are at it again! I am talking about the ongoing vitriolic blogging and more regarding President Elect Obama's selection of Rev. Rick Warren to give the Inaugural Invocation. Now, don't get me wrong. I do not like Rick Warren or his views, and I think that his behavior and attitudes have done a lot of damage in the GLBT community. He surely would not be my choice. However, he is a recognized and successful religious leader of our day, and while there might have been choices that might have been more accepted by a lot of folks, he certainly has the credentials to "qualify" him for this honor. To exclude him because of his views would be inappropriate, just as would be the selection of someone else because he or she is pro-gay. It must also be noted that Rev. Joseph Lowrey (an avid civil rights activist and supporter of the GLBT community) is offering the benediction. I don't hear the religious right screaming about that choice. I sometimes wonder who the bigots are here. I think that Mr Obama has bigger issues that should be consuming his time. energy, and economy than this flap over who is invited to pray. Good grief. Can anyone tell me who offered the invocation at GW Bush's inauguration? How about at Bill Clinton's? Who cares? We are inaugurating Rick Warren nor does his inclusion mean that Obama agrees with his views.


Several years ago, I was invited to offer the invocation for a session of the Illinois General Assembly. This invitation was the result of some behind the scenes work by a gay staff member of a gay assemblyman, and I was honored and pleased by the honor. However, I didn't use the situation to offer any comment regarding my political or social views, and I suspect that Rick Warren will be a professional and will offer a prayer. I think it says a lot that he, knowing that Obama is publicly supportive of GLBT folks, is accepting the invitation. It's called "crossing the aisle." Obama has reiterated his support for GLBT issues, so let's drop it, move on, and offer our new president our support and prayers.


1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

I think I agree with this. It makes some sense.
I will try to be tolerant and understanding.