Monday, November 12, 2007

Im Still Here

Hi all! Contrary to what you might think based on my lack of posts recently, I am still here. I haven't had a lot to say and there hasn't been a great deal of newsworthy activity in my life.

As I was driving home this afternoon, I was listening to NPR and they were doing a piece on an illegal alien who was deported (separated from his family) to Mexico. He managed to find a way to come back into the US (again illegally) and to make his way all the way to Massachusetts and his family. He had make himself sick with all the struggle and, before he was "home" for long, he died. Now this is a sad story. I extend my sympathies to his family and friends BUT! He was here illegally!!! He chose to take the risks and broke the law!! He was hired by a company in MA (now they are in legal trouble). Now I think that our immigration laws are a mess and need some revision. However, they are the current laws. I have been hearing debates about giving illegal aliens drivers' licenses. Proponents claim it is a safety issue. I claim that if the illegals can be found to give them the legal privilege of driving, then they can be found to be sent home - they are here taking advantage of jobs and services to which they are not legally entitled. Many of us have parents or grandparents who struggled and sacrificed to come to the US for a new beginning, but by and large they did it within the context of existing laws. If the proponents of the "rights" of illegal aliens would work within the system to overhaul the laws instead of excusing illegal entry or looking the other way, then perhaps things would get better and those who want to come to the US for the "American dream" could do so within the context of legal entry. There would be no need for the subject of the radio piece to hide. There would be no need for companies to hire illegals. I don't know all the answers, but in my opinion, to overlook the fact that these folks are criminals (yes, that's what they are -- lawbreakers) is to promote anarchy. If we can overlook immigration laws, what's next? Armed robbery? Murder? Ah well, as I said at the beginning, I'm still here and I still have an opinion. Hug someone.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

i am glad you are 'still here' and posting too!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving